From:
Verónica Garea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 07:01:06 -0300
Hello all,
I have been following with interest the thread on conservation of
breastmilk at room temperature.

We give mothers LLLI recommendations on conservation of milk. I guess
(correct me if I am wrong) that they are based on the research that has
been cited in Lactnet.

I understand the concept of "safety margins" (that is, taking the most
conservative experimental result and using that as a guideline; we do that
all the time in the nuclear industry). I also understand that most of the
milk will be perfectly OK after 12 hours. And in cases where mums have
trouble pumping or extracting milk, dumping the milk because it took a bit
longer to get it to a refrigerator or freezer may be quite frustrating.

Is there anything the mother can use as guideline to know she MUST NOT use
the milk? Smell, maybe? Fresh breastmilk has almost no smell.

Thanks.

Veronica Garea
Grupo de Apoyo a la Lactancia Materna de Bariloche
IBFAN Bariloche - LLL Argentina