From:
Jena Sallenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:24:25 EDT
About wet nursing. My parents were raised in the mountains of southwestern
Virginia more than 70 years ago. My paternal grandmother was very ill when she
delivered my uncle, so he was breastfed by a wet-nurse. The interesting thing
is  that he stayed in contact with his wet-nurse and visited her until she
died - he  called her his second mother.  This lady had her own children and was
 available as a wet-nurse to the community. I don't know what, if any
compensation she received (maybe "just" love). I do know that many grownup women
and men remembered her fondly. This was an extremely poor community, but they
took care of their own. There was never any embarrassment about this, it was
just the way things were done. How wonderful! I always wished that I could have
 wet-nursed when I had my babies 27 and 25 years ago, I had an abundant
supply. I  was raised hearing stories about wet nursing and putting the baby on the
tit  (sounds kinda rude to us, but that was how they said it), so when I had
my own  babies, I couldn't imagine feedng them any other way.

Jena Sallenger RN MSN IBCLC
Florence, SC