Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:16:56 -0500
> Try to shadow someone who works with new babies so you learn
> how to work with the typical sleepy (drugged) baby that is so
> common now days. Find a mentor IBCLC who has a reputation for
> excellance and learn from her.

This was such an eye opener for me.  I really cured me of some of that "what
in the world are they doing over in that hospital" feelings.

 > This is an expensive profession to be in and there is no way
> to cut costs without short changing yourself, your future
> clients, and the rest of the profession. Think of this as
> your training for a job. You would be spending money on
> college tuition or textbooks. Training to be IBCLC is the same.

I did find some cost saving things after you have compiled your required
CE's.  I have been able to volunteer to help set up/ tear down several CE
sessions sponsored by LLL.  You could probably also do this through the
local ILCA.  You don't earn the CE's (since the hospital pays for those) but
you are able to "audit" the sessions and I was able to receive all of the
materials.   And of course the knowledge you gain isn't less simply because
you haven't earned the CE's :).

Also, there have been a couple of local grants that have brought in Debi
Bocar's Breastfeeding Educator Training, offering for a very reduced rate --
a great program and a great way to get the CE's you need.  Perhaps you could
even put together your own grant.

Good Luck!

Jessica Matting M.Ed, CCE, CBE, LLLL