From:
Kirsten Berggren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:18:03 -0400
Adding a comment to Heather's post: I have 2 exclusively breastfed babies
who have basically opposite behaviour.  My son (my oldest) was one of those
babies who just could not be put down.  He nursed "constantly", he would
only sleep being held (or in a sling, backpack, frontpack - we bought them
all!), he was decidedly colicky, he had and still has a high need to suck,
and 4 years later, he has grown into a very intense, active, smart, 4 year
old, but he is indeed an intense individual.  My daughter was so mellow,
from the moment of birth.  She prefered to sleep alone from about day 4
(honest - she would not sleep being held, I'd put her down and zap - right
to sleep!), she's a great eater, always slept long periods, nursed well and
much less frequently - your standard issue "easy baby".  At 2 she is far
less intense than her brother, handles change much better, and is just
more "mellow".
I think we need to stress to moms that it's not the method of feeding or
any other parenting input that determines the behaviour of the baby, but
often genetic temperament issues that are going to be the same whether you
use breast or bottle.  And some babies are going to be "harder" than
others.  attachment parenting techniques can make these "difficult" babies
easier to deal with in ways, but in the long run, some will just be easier
than others. An "easy" baby is always discouraging to the mom of a more
high-need baby, you really doubt your parenting skills when they just cry
and cry - moms need to know this range is normal.

Thanks for indulging my opinions on everything!!

Kirsten Berggren