From:
Patricia Gima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 18:33:50 -0600
>Jean writes about goat's rue:
>

>I know you are a strong proponent of its use. Is there any documented
>research on its use? Especially in regard to the fancy sounding claims
>that it has been known to increase glandular tissue? How would one prove
>that without-say-before and after ultrasounds?

I got the idea from Lisa Marasco.  If she is reading Lactnet these days she
might be able to reply. I think that its use is part of her on-going work
with PCOS.

 >How do you think it compares to Domperidone?

>Domperidone works differently from goat's rue, which my experiential
>evidence has shown to enhance breast growth in the adopting women whom I
>have suggested it to.  I don't know that it increases milk production as
>domperidone does but it does seem to enhance the potential.  One client
>called after a couple of days of taking it (along with domperidone and
>More Milk Plus) to say that her breasts were certainly larger (needed a
>new bra) and two days later called with "engorgement." She used cabbage
>leaves and pumped more milk than she had been getting.

As an aside, she was later getting about 1 1/2 ounces every 4 hours and we
were both thrilled with that.  Then one day her SIL came to visit with a
2-month old baby.  The adopting mother held that baby a lot and the next
time she pumped she got 3 ounces. That really encouraged her that her
supply would "soar" when her little one was in her arms.

Jean, I do understand your and others' affinity for pharmaceuticals over
herbs and they seem to be serving you well.  No one needs to suggest
anything that she doesn't trust or have confidence in. I certainly don't.

>How do you think Fenugreek compares in efficacy with Goat's rue? With
>Domperidone?

I think that the above explanation covers that question.

>Any other galactogogues you find especially useful? At least for their
>ease in being found at a local store?

I recommend More Milk Plus which is available at several pharmacies and
health food stores in the Milwaukee area.  It included four of the most
common galactagogues in combination.  They are blessed thistle, nettle,
fennel seed and fenugreek.

Interestingly, with my Indian clientele if I suggest this herbal
combination the mothers say that fennel seed, nettle and fenugreek are
already in their cupbords because their mothers sent them when they learned
that they were pregnant.

Often Gramma is there when I arrive and through mother's interpretation
Gramma and I have a good talk about what is used back home to assure a good
milk supply. Of course, one major factor is that the new mother is nurtured
well for 40 days, which is the length of time that Gramma is usually here.

I hope that anyone reading this can discern which words are mine and which
are Jean's questions.  My e-mail program is playing tricks on me.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Mailto:[log in to unmask]