From:
Judie LC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:34:19 -0700
I don't know if this will answer your question,
Kathleen. But it does give a different POV.

I have a family member who checks the FDA website
frequently, because his job involves quality assurance
of medical diagnostics. Basically, he helps companies
stay in compliance with FDA regulations, and assists
them in responding if they get a warning letter.

When he saw the domperidone warning on the FDA
website, he sent it to me, knowing that I would be
interested. I responded by telling him of some of the
info I had seen and heard on the web regarding
domperidone (for example, Thomas Hale's response).

I also mentioned that I had seen the following
statement at Jack Newman's website: "The United States
Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning
concerning domperidone. Coincidentally, the warning
was issued on the opening day of the United States
National Breastfeeding Campaign."

This is what my relative had to say in his return
email, in part:

"I don't think that it is "politics" because even one
Warning Letter (let alone 5) is a very serious
business, and I can assure you that no drug (or
formula?) company wants to receive one for "political"
(or for any other) reasons.

The Letters concern distribution of several unapproved
drugs, so it is clear that they are not targeted at
domperidone but are part of FDA's continuous and
statutory responsibility to police unapproved drugs in
interstate commerce. Finally, I doubt that anyone at
FDA even knew about the start date of the 'Campaign.'
"

I went to the FDA website, after receiving this email,
and did note that none of the 5 letters were sent to
drug companies; 4 were to pharmacies that have been
compounding domperidone, and one was to a drug
distribution company.

Just offering this as something more to think about,
with respect to domperidone and the FDA warning.

Judie Gibel
Florida