Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 7 May 2004 09:58:37 -0700
Several years ago an obstetricians group asked me to complete a
comprehensive review of the current literature and report on breast
binding.  It was nowhere reported that binding was effective; on the
contrary, binding caused women to require more medical intervention in
terms of physician visits and pharmaceutical pain control without any
significant decrease in symptoms of engorgement or leaking.  Pain
increased and time to cessation of symptoms remained about two weeks
duration, plus or minus one to two days.

As they say, discomfort lasted two weeks with binding and 14 days
without.

Based on this information, our hospital changed its policy and no
longer recommended breast binding to women who, for whatever reason,
would not be breastfeeding.

Arly Helm, MS, IBCLC