From:
Lorij Schmick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 18:35:04 -0400
  And Debbie, it get's back to the consumer, i.e., the patient. If mom wants
everyone to go, she needs to say it. I, myself, do not agree with liberal
visiting hours for the very reasons you state-exhausted mom, baby needs to
nurse, etc. But if that is the hospital policy you are hard-pressed to make
others see that they are interferring. Parents need to stand up and say go
away.
  When I had my babies I lived far away from family and my friends knew to
wait until I got home! I rarely had a visitor while in the hospital. It was
great. Then we moved back "home" and my sister had her first baby. Oh, my
gosh. The stream of people. I felt like the visitor police. The best I could
do was encourage everyone to come around the same time and if they were
there and baby needed to eat, I was handing over the baby telling my
sister-visitors or not, she needs to nurse. It was easy for me to say,
"tough you need to nurse your baby, and no she's not going to the nursery",
but obviously you can't do that with other patients!
  Maybe what is needed is a hand-out for visitors!! "How to be courteous
when visiting patients who have just had a baby."
  ~Lorij, LLLL