Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Valerie W, McClain" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 06:25:36 EDT
Marsha wrote, "Folks, not to get too off-topic here but can we stop denouncing
pharmaceutical companies?  Companies are in business to make money after
all, and pharmaceutical companies are no different than any other.  They
have nothing to do with breastfeeding generally, unless they also
produce infant formulas. "

While I think it is not worth our time to "denounce" pharmaceutical
companies.  I disagree quite strongly that the pharmaceutical industry has nothing to
do with breastfeeding generally.  Human milk components are being patented and
synthetically-made (genetically engineered) by various biotech and/or
pharmaceutical companies  Mammary epithelial cells (which are in human milk) are
considered totipotent stem cells.  Human lactoferrin is used in numerous test kits
for such things as detecting cancers (breast, prostate,etc) and for use in
hiv/aids to detect immune status.  We have close to 1000 human milk component
patents.  I believe we are burying our heads in the sand, if we believe that the
pharmaceutical industry has no "interest" in breastfeeding.
Valerie W. McClain, IBCLC