From:
Margaret Wendt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 05:53:42 -0400
I'm having one of those days. It is so difficult to try and overcome all
those breastfeeding myths out there. I work in a maternity unit as the
breastfeeding educator. Today I had a new mum tell me that her mother told
her she couldn't eat any citrus fruits while breastfeeding because it
would make her babies urine acidic and cause nappy rash. I find that one
of the biggest problems we have is overcoming old fashioned advice, and
that our new mums will believe their own family and friends over our
professional advice. One of the biggest is timing feeds, no matter how
often I explain why we don't time feeds anymore, when I do my follow ups
so many mums are still timing the feeds ( one in particular was doing two
minutes on one side, then switching to the other side for two minutes and
then back again, her own mother told her that this would ensure the baby
got the maximum volume of milk). Any suggestions on how you can present
information in a way that will encourage the mums and the grandparents to
embrace new knowledge.
Margaret Wendt RN RM BHSc GradCertCCAH