From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 12:59:44 -0700
Winnie writes:
“Since the general public isn't even aware of such a
campaign, it seems to me there is only one way such
moms could have gotten wind of it and been
"organized" to mount such a campaing and that's from
those who have $$$ reasons for opposing it!”

Hear, hear!  Does anyone know the background?  Sounds
like a great story.

About the BTS campaign --  and relying on my memory
here ---  US efforts to “inform” parents about how to
protect babies from SIDS skipped the first 3
recommendations & went right to #4 due to
a) concerns about guilt
b) the importance of protecting the interests of US
formula companies
c) the thought this is a step “everyone can do”

Or maybe b) was actually a)...

My recollection of the first big study on SIDS we all
fussed about concluded with four protective
recommendations in this order:
1.  Breastfeed.
2.  Co-sleep.
3.  Don’t Smoke.
4.  Put baby on his/her back to sleep.
Regarding this last one, I understood “baby on side”
was considered a good position but “baby on back” was
more practical since baby doesn’t usually “side-lie”
unless breastfeeding…   I remember much talk about
this in bf circles.

A later study recommendation surfaced emphasizing the
last part.  Some surmised this was related to rising
breastfeeding rates in the studied area.

Sometimes I wish someone would mount a pretty campaign
showing how cozy breastfeeding feels to baby, run a
quiet list of the ways baby is nurtured along a normal
path of development, and conclude with the thought,
“Don’t you wish you were breastfed?”

Susan Johnson MFA, IBCLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA