From:
Carole Jernigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 06:07:15 -0700
Let's all take a few nice, deep breaths and remember why we do what we
do...and re-read Nikki's reminder that we can agree to disagree.

Barbara's inquiry about storage of cow milk brought to mind a recent
field trip we took to a family owned and operated goat farm.  It was a
blast, some of the kids were just a few days old and the other kids
(the human ones) got to hold and pet to their hearts' content.

The owner gave a very thorough and fascinating presentation during
which we watched a goat being milked, and she talked about the handling
of the fresh milk.  Goat milk must be chilled to under 44 degrees
Fahrenheit within one hour of milking, otherwise it develops that
distinct "goaty" taste and smell.  Interesting!  She was very firm in
her conviction that most folks who are raising dairy goats do not know
how to handle the milk properly and wind up discarding it due to the
"goaty" taste.

Sad that any food, from human or non-human sources, is wasted because
of misinformation and incorrect handling.  What are we thinking?

Carole