From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 13:13:22 -0500
The advice given on IBLCE web site (look on the ethics part and the
corresponding FAQ part) is to talk to the IBCLC and find out what happened
and if necessary give her the correct information. Always remember that you
may be hearing what the mother thought she heard, not what was really said.
But sometimes we hear the same type of complaint or information over and
over.

If the mother has seen an IBCLC who is not very experienced/skilled or whom
I often hear complaints about, I send a written report of my consultation to
this person. Sometimes I just send a copy of my lactation report for the
doctor. I use a nice, friendly and informative tone -- I do not imply
criticism of the other IBCLC. My goal is to educate so I put a lot of
information in there as a way of teaching or guiding this person in what she
missed or doesn't know. If I am doing a second consultation after someone
else, I will ask the mom what was done (test weighs, devices used, etc.) and
ask to see the care plan or other handouts given to her.

If the mother has seen an IBCLC that I know is very good, very experienced,
and follows IBLCE's and ILCA's standards of practice, I will usually call
the IBCLC myself before seeing the mother (or I tell the mother that this
IBCLC is excellant and would want to do a second consultation and/or know
mom is unhappy). And I will call the IBCLC afterwards and report to her.

Kathy A. Eng, BSW, IBCLC
Houston, TX