ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 14:57:03 +0000

Bill,
        Here's a hypothesis you might want to consider.
Most museum visits are initiated by the female head
of household.  I wonder if the NASCAR film and support
programming you might do, being of more "male" interest,
might not bring in new audiences, rather than change the
way your traditional audiences visit.
        I have found that families usually have a pretty good
idea of how much time they plan to spend when they
arrive at a museum, and that they then make choices as
to how to spend that time.  Is there a new exhibit they
want to see? A new film?  A planetarium show?  Do they
have time to fit in a demonstration?  Seldom do they do
all of these.
        I would be interested in how others think about this.

Dave Taylor
AHHA Museum Services
Seattle, WA