ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bill Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 09:17:53 -0500

We are currently showing NASCAR, and the special programming we've done
has been more "event" focused, and therefore run by our Marketing/PR
arm. Try contacting Shannon Lipscomb ([log in to unmask]) for the
specifics.

That said, I have a broader question for the list, which is why I
changed my title (didn't want to step on your toes, Jennifer).

When you all (meaning science center reps who read this listserv)
develop programming to go along with a film, such as NASCAR, what is the
impact of that programming? Does it:

a) Generate longer stay time?
b) Generate repeat visitors? (If so, how?)
c) Bring people into the science center in the first place?
d) Anything else?

This is an important question for us because we are all spread so thin
that we want to get the most bang for our time, if you will. On a purely
mission focus, I believe in programs to support films and special days
(e.g. "Pi Day", Halloween, NASCAR, etc.) because it enriches the
experience. However, with such resource limitations, it's increasingly
important for us as educators to justify such programs in light of other
things we could be doing that could more directly affect the bottom
line.

Any thoughts?

Bill

Bill Watson
Education Director
Gulf Coast Exploreum Science Center
Mobile, AL
(251) 208-6851

Visit the all-new permanent exhibit MINDS ON HALL, featuring
cutting-edge technology exhibits and the Ciba Hands-on
Science Lab.

Now playing in the Gulf Coast's only IMAX Dome
Theater: SHACKLETON'S ANTARCTIC ADVENTURE
and NASCAR.