Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Gonneke van Veldhuizen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 May 2004 01:59:25 EDT
In einer eMail vom 2-5-04 4:20:22 West-Europa (zomertijd) schreibt

> I suspect that some babies are more likely to die of one or more of the
> many variables associated with SIDS for reasons having to do with their
> own physiology. We don't yet have a good handle on what those factors
> are or identifying who has them. Some babies die lying on their backs,
> too. Not as many as on their tummies, I guess, but it happens.  We know
> that bfing makes SIDS less likely, but breastfed babies also die of
> SIDS sometimes. Not all SIDS deaths are preventable by taking simple
> steps like nursing or sleeping on tummies. How do we figure out what
> the personal factors are in the babies that we need to be looking at so
> we can tailor our advice for each baby? Are researchers and
> practitioners asking those questions yet?

The way I understand the SIDS research literature (and I am the first to
admit that I am in no way a very good science literature reader) is that they note
all kinds of circumstances surrounding unexplained deaths of infants and then
list them in one order or another. It seems to me that if a study would be
done that lists circumstances *per child* that there may be a chance of seeing
patters in combinations of factors. For example smoking parents and hot
sleeping room and tummy sleeping, or not breastfeeding, smoking and hot sleeping
room. That could give more insight in how combinations of factors may enhance or
reduce the risks of SIDS.

Warmly greeting,

Gonneke van Veldhuizen, IBCLC, LLLL
Germany - The Netherlands