From:
"Henry, Felicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:10:27 -0700
Just a late note on this.  As a former employee of Babies R Us (plus being a
vendor for the Baby Fest since they opened in my town) and I can state that
Baby Fests are completely store run.  There is no outside companies
sponsoring the event.  Each store is given a specific amount each year to
spend on promotion (both taking flyers to local maternity stores & OB's and
such).  Since they are in-store there is little cost to them (new this
year - they bought tables for vendors to use, before we supplied our own).
Many companies send items to give away for Baby Fest (such as Balmex,
Pampers, Avent, Medela, etc), usually done as a national thing (each store
has Baby Fests on the same days, a certain number per year) so each store
gets a shipment a week or two before Baby Fest.

There is no conflict, unless they got some free items to give away and
wanted to use it for your seminar - you can opt out or do as I do, I bring
my own items to give away.  Giving the seminars and talks is something each
store has to do (3 to 5 a month).  If they can't get outside vendors, they
must find employees to give them - attendence is better when it is a popular
topic given by outside people (LC or LLLL to talk on Breastfeeding, CBE to
talk about birth plans, etc).  Otherwise it becomes a discussion on
strollers and clothes.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Felicia Henry
CBE, Breastfeeding support & former BRU employee

P.S. The big Baby Expo isn't done in a store, Babies R Us plus some other
companies sponsor this event (like the Home & Garden shows).