From:
Lorij Schmick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:00:44 -0400
  I agree with Barbara! There are so many "titles" floating around out there
and it gets very confusing. There have been many times, whether at meetings,
over the phone or via e-mail that I felt I had to explain the difference
between the titles that ARE out there. It gives everyone a bad name when
someone uses "LC" but in fact has no true training in the field.

  Just recently a woman disagreed with me using the term "nipple confusion"
as possibly part of the problem she was experiencing. And why? Well, because
she had already talked to the "Lacation Consultant" who informed her that it
was not possible to get nipple confused if baby wasn't receiving
"nourishment from the artificial nipple." What??! After giving her every
reference on nipple confusion I felt  it necessary to talk about the
different "titles" that are used. After pointing out that she, herself could
call herself an "LC" I explained IBCLC and LLLL, to me the two "titles" that
show training. And I suggested she feel free to question anyone who called
themselves "LC" to clarify their training.

  Many doctors offices these days seem to "bless" one of their staff members
with the title "LC" because they have personal experience or interest in
breastfeeding but fail to meet any of the criteria. So then we end up with
women getting conflicting information once again (it used to be just
battling what the physician said, now it's a staff member, too) about
breastfeeding. Some days I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall.
  ~Lorij, LLL Leader
  Mom of 6