From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:21:30 -0300
> Recovery of birth weight: breastfed median 8.3 days, 95th centile 18.7
> days, 97.5th centile 21.0

>days; formula fed median 6.5 days, 95th centile 14.5 days, 97.5th
>centile 16.7 days. The time taken to regain birth weight correlates
>with both the degree and timing of initial weight loss for all groups.

I have always felt that there are two factors (besides "artificial" IV
fluid weight) that need to be considered:
1) If a large baby loses 10% of weight, and weight gain after that is
consistent for all sizes of babies, then it will obviously take a larger
baby longer to gain the weight back. Is weight gain consistent? Well, we
say 1/2 pound to 1 pound a day to mothers of all sizes of babies.
Moreover, is there a difference in intake of breastmilk according to
size? Test weighing doesn't seem to indicate this, and I have always
thought that the calculation of supplements by baby weight (to maintain
weight, to gain weight) was influenced by the practice of increasing
formula amounts over time (and therefore with increasing weights), while
breastfed babies didn't take in significantly different amounts at
different weights.
2) Birth weight doesn't correlate with adult weight, but weight at one
year does. Therefore, higher birthweight babies who are biologically
destined to be smaller than their birthweight indicates will not gain as
quickly and will, by definition, fall in percentiles.
That is not to say that I don't tend to be alarmist, myself, with slow
gainers and potential FTT. Having been able to manage bf differently
with one of my slow gainers than the others, I am aware how different
the picture can look. I think we need a lot more information about all
these nuances.
Jo-Anne