From:
"Susan C. Jacoby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 23:02:29 -0700
Suzanne said:
> [...]
than 2 hours from mom, dad will not get to see the baby at all.
I want this baby to bf all she can, but my sneaking suspicion is that
mom isn't giving the baby the chance to space feedings a little bit, to
get back at dad. What do you all
think?<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I could well imagine a mother of an 8 month old baby saying the baby
nurses several times an hour.  Especially if there is a lot of stress
around this baby at the present time, this could very well be true.  At
any rate, whether this is true or the mother's exaggeration, I would
believe the baby may NOT be ready to seperate from mom for more than two
hours.  This is normal for an attached baby!

So it would seem to me that there is nothing to gain in trying to judge
whether the mother is "right" or "wrong" but rather, to decide what is
best for the baby.  And in my opinion, what is best for an 8 month old
nursing baby is to be with it's mother continuously until he/she shows
signs of readiness to seperate.  I would give the benefit of doubt to
the nursing couple, hands down.

PS That is a wonderful state law..... I wish every state were so
enlightened about the needs of babies.

Sue Jacoby, IBCLC
Clovis, CA