From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2004 12:00:02 EDT
Dear Friends:
    Meg's post with the accurate analogies about getting help in an
institution (imagine an alcoholic going into a rehabilitation clinic and seeing posters
of whiskey bottles on the wall) is right on target.
    Imagine if, at the moment you fell in love with your partner, you were in
a terrible car accident. How would that new relationship survive the days of
painful healing and rehabilitation?
    Yet it is happening to mothers and babies and breastfeeding more and
more, as technologically driven birth is spreading throughout the world.
    Yesterday I worked with a mother on bedrest for preterm labor with her
second baby. She was induced at 38 weeks! (Now which was it: Baby escaping too
soon or wouldn't come out??) She wouldn't breastfeed; it was too painful the
first time and her doctor didn't help her. So she wouldn't risk trying the
second time even with me in her living room, telling her "I love to help women and
babies breastfeed and I am pretty good at it" and "Your insurance will pay for
me to come see you twice, as a mother/baby nurse so you won't have to pay any
money." She didn't want to risk more pain. She was sticking with what she had
learned the first time.
    warmly,
Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI
Maternal-Child Adjunct Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human Lactation
Support the WHO Code and the Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative