Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 07:55:47 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I have a 6 month old whose mom wants to continue to breastfeed, but here's her history.  She's never produced more than drops of milk on one breast, so she's been strictly breastfeeding off of one side.  We don't know why the milk supply has been diminished, except for a history of bilateral nipple piercing, which may have left excess scar tissue on the affected side.  Her baby recently has been nursing only for 5 min. and then requires a supplement.  I suggested mom start solids in response to the low supply, but baby experiences constipation with cereal, and mom fears what little milk she has will be gone.  So, she wanted to try Reglan and the SNS.  Now, I have never seen such an alert baby in terms of the tube awareness!  She refuses to nurse with the SNS at breast.  Here's what we've tried: Attempt to offer breast without SNS and then slip tube into side of mouth. Tape tube on underside of breast and wear SNS under shirt to keep it hidden out of sight.  Allow baby to play with
 the SNS as a "toy".  Take a bath with baby and SNS.  Use the smallest size tube.  I'm aware that the Lact-aid is often suggested as a bit more in disguise, but this mom doesn't want to take the chance and make another purchase if it's not going to work.

Any other suggestions?  Happy IBCLC Day!

Carol Chamblin, RN, MS, IBCLC

Breast 'N Baby Lactation Services, Inc.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2