From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 18:24:08 -0500
Laurence Glavin:

>My drive to work this morning (10/07) was relieved from the humdrum by
>an excellent interview of conductor Marin Alsop by Susan Stamberg on
>NPR's "Morning Edition"..

I had a CD on instead that day, but I heard the interview later on NPR's
website at www.npr.org and I concur with Laurence that this is a worthwhile
interview.  Nice to hear Marin Alsop's name pronounced correctly.  Recently
I heard it as "Martin" Alsop and as "Mareen" Alsop. To find the interview
go to Morning Edition and then search Susan Stamberg for the past week
(or whatever time period works after October 7.) I was not able to find
it by searching Alsop (though there is some other stuff about her.) The
segment is the first in a Stamberg series on power.  Interesting that
she begins with the power of music; and she begins that segment with a
50 year old quote assuming that a conductor's power is naturally that
of one of the tyrant conductors from that era.  Alsop counters by talking
about the way Bernstein got players to perform; and ends with that
delicious surfing comparison.  I liked her.  She has recently become
Music Director of the Bournemouth Symphony.

Jim Tobin