From:
"Stephen E. Bacher" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 07:48:12 -0400
Laurence Glavin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>My drive to work this morning (10/07) was relieved from the humdrum by
>an excellent interview of conductor Marin Alsop by Susan Stamberg on
>NPR's "Morning Edition"..  [...] The segment ended with about a minute
>or so of Mahler's Third Symphony!  What a way to start the day... [...]
>Did anyone else out there hear this interview?

I did, too.  Yes, great to hear - especially since the interviewer even
actually mentioned the name of the composer, briefly, in passing, during
the interview (though not the identity of the symphony).  Unusual for
NPR, which neglects to identify most of the classical works featured on
their "news" items.

As far as Alsop's interpretation, from the brief excerpt, it seemed to
possess brilliance and clarity, though lacking in gravity and pathos as
compared with what I'm accustomed to in Mahler.

>Cherish it; NPR will now "compensate" for this bone to
>the illuminati with ten interviews and features in the pop/rock world.

Not to knock those features, as they tend to seek out less well-known
artists; most of them I have found have something valuable to offer.
Btw, there was supposed to be a Randy Newman feature on this morning,
but I couldn't find it; either the Terminator preempted him or it was
on past my drive time.

 - seb