From:
Linda Madsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:01:59 -0800
How tragic for the family to lose an infant this way.
It also sounds as if the staff at the original
facility can use some training in how to handle
neonatal loss.  Health care professionals,
particularly in pediatrics and mother/infant units
have a hard time in dealing with death because it is
so rare.  I know nurses who chose obstetrics because
it is, in general, a happy place with overall good
outcomes.  They will grasp for the nearest cause at
hand as well as blaming themselves if things do not
work out ideally.  Some grief counselling/crisis
intervention & sensitivity training would be helpful
for all involved with this poor family.  I had also
noted that the mother in this case was G2P1.  Might
there not be some tie-in with the other pregnancy
loss?  I have worked both in a Level III & Level II
NICU's.  I've cared for babes brought in who were
found rooming-in that were apneic, ones who were found
in the nursery as well as those in arms (breastfed &
ABM), including one who tried to die during a bath.  I
pray the family did not hear any of the speculations &
received compassionate care.

Sincerely,

Linda A. Madsen, RN, CPN, IBCLC