Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 07:48:58 EST
Heather wrote:
think it's not so much fear of infection that makes mothers
distressed if their preterm or sick baby has the wrong milk, or their
milk gets given to another baby - though this may be how they
rationalise their upset.
I chatted w/ a mom yesterday whose next baby (third) is being carried by a
"gestational carrier" (first time I'd heard that term) because she had two very
difficult pregnancies, and had left over embryos, so chose to have the baby
carried by someone else.  Baby is due this summer and she was talking to me
about relactation (having pumped & bottlefed each of her others for several
months).  We talked about it a bit, and then I suggested that the "gestational
carrier" might be willing to pump and donate milk for a few days or a week or so
depending on how mom's milk supply is at the time the baby is born.  She was
APPALLED that I would even mildly suggest such an awful thing!  I was a bit taken
aback that she could have the woman carry the baby, but not provide
breastmilk for it.

Interesting.  I dropped the idea post haste.  I wish she had been amenable
enough for me to explore with her why the idea was so distasteful....hard to
know if she just didn't want to have anything to do w/ the carrier afterwards, or
if she felt she had asked the carrier to do enough, or if she just thought it
was disgusting....

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC
Wheaton IL
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com