From:
Victoria Nesterova <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:13:18 +0200
Dear friends,

I am trying to help mom, over e-mail by now.

Looked in archives but was unable to find what I need

She introduced formula (Nestogen) when baby was 3 weeks old - for slow
weight gain (I wish she wrote me that early).

Baby nearly refused breast when he was 1-1.5 months and she states that he
gradually begin to prefer formula over her ebm. Now he is 2 months, ebm is
40% of his daily intake. He often cries when he tastes ebm in bottle. She
begins feedings with formula than switches to bottle with ebm. Sometimes
baby begins to cry even with this trick. He sometimes takes breast. She is
interested in complete relactation. But baby's unwillingness to drink her
milk makes her desperate, she even asked about sweetening her expressed
milk.

I send her article about relactation, suggested lot's of cuddle and sleeping
time on her bare breast so baby can fall in love with smell of mom's milk,
placing ebm on baby's fists (somebody here(sorry don't remember name)
suggested this for newborns). Also suggested (but it is mostly
brainstorming) drinking fennel and tea to help with her supply - somewhere
read that main supply booster with them that baby likes scent of these herbs
and simply drinks more milk :). May be baby allergic to something mom eats?

How can we coax baby back to breast if he prefers formula?

I will be grateful for any idea.

Sincerely yours,

Victoria Nesterova, breastfeeding supporter, mom to 3