From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 18:31:30 EST
HI Laura,
You gave an example of a case with a 36 weeker who did not nurse, lost wt.
and became jaundice.  With a birth wt of 4-12, I calculated that a 10% wt loss
would have put the baby at    4-2.75, so a loss down to 4-6 was still within
normal for this baby.  Even if this mother started out with formula, I don't
know if you can prevent a 36 weeker from becoming jaundice, loss wt and be a good
eater.
I just want us all to be cautious about being in hurry to supplement.  What
you were doing with taking the mother's 5-6cc of colostrum and mixing with some
glucose water sounded perfect.  The question is why did this baby not want to
nurse well?  I think the message to a mother with these circumstances is that
she is doing all the right things and with time and patience things should
improve.  Adding formula right away in the first 24 hours sends the wrong
message and does not guarantee that this baby would not loss wt or prevent jaundice,
therefore still leading to separation of mother and baby for treatment.  (How
about a bili bed?)
Laura, keep up what you are doing, it sounds perfect.
Ann Perry RN, IBCLC
Boston, MA