From:
Ruth Piatak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:34:00 -0600
Hello all,

My name is Ruth Piatak.  I've been a LLL member 19 years, a Leader 2 1/2
years, and was a breastfeeding foster mother briefly in 2001.  4 kids ages
6, 11, 13, and 18.  Former member of San Diego County Breastfeeding
Coalition (of the helpful website!), now moved to Dallas, TX area and
leading the Allen group.

I have found the Adoptive Breastfeeding Resource Website
http://fourfriends.com/abrw/ to be the most comprehensive resource for any
mom for whom milk supply is an issue.  There are many links and contacts
under "Resources" there, including how to get domperidone.  Perhaps most
important, it goes over why to breastfeed whether you have a full supply or
not.

I'm wondering whether the answer to "How long to get off the SNS" is, "As
soon as your Lact-Aid arrives!"  Many moms at the ABRW sing its praises.  I
didn't end up having to use it, thanks to the Newman-Goldfarb protocol, but
I could see that there's something to be said for bags that don't have to be
washed or sterilized, come in two different sizes, and can be pre-filled to
be hooked up when needed.  Plus wearing them is less clunky than the SNS.
If understand correctly, Lact-aid does more to encourage proper suckling,
too, though adjusting the height can adapt it to a baby's strength.

I have no interest in Lact-Aid or ABRW, but a lot of interest in getting the
most vulnerable babies nurtured at the breast!

Ruth Piatak