From:
Wendi Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 13:16:32 -0700
Claudia,

The Breastfeeding Answer Book (Third Revised Edition) states the
following on page 148.

<Average weight gain for the first three to four months is about six
ounces (170 grams) per week, although it is considered acceptable for
some babies to gain four or five ounces (113 to 142g) per week.  Weight
gain should always be figured from the lowest point rather than from
birth weight.>

I hope this helps!

Wendi Jones
Breastfeeding Advocate

<<Can anyone pin down for me the reference used when we say that
breastfed babies should gain 4-8 oz /week the first 3-5 months and then
3-5oz/week after that? >>