From:
Sara Dodder Furr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 10:25:21 -0600
As the US breastfeeding ad campaign looms on the horizon, "coincidentally"
an opinion piece appeared in today's Boston Globe at
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q3DF42847.

The article is entitled "Sure breast is best, but is it worth it?" and is
written by a pediatrician, Darshak Sanghavi.  Also "coincidentally" his wife
experienced breastfeeding difficulties which led to their decision to
formula feed their baby.

Here is just one paragraph from the article:

"Many mothers like Elizabeth wonder: How far should I go to breast-feed? How
important is exclusive breast-feeding to my baby's health? The facts aren't
as clear-cut as I used to think. One of breast-feeding's most-touted
benefits is better immunity. Here are the actual statistics: In a Canadian
study, for example, the risk of diarrhea, colds, and other infections per
week of early infancy was 3 percent in formula-fed infants, and 2 percent in
those breast-fed. An Arizona study found that exclusive breast-feeding for
the first four months -- that is, no other liquids or solids whatsoever --
reduced the cumulative risk of ear infection from 65 percent to 55 percent
by 1 year of age."

So now the attack is not only on the normalcy of breastmilk versus formula,
but the attack against exclusive breastfeeding has already begun.

Sara Dodder Furr
LLL Leader
Lincoln, Nebraska