From:
Becky Lyons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 07:50:06 -0400
The method used to prepare fortified breastmilk in our NICU has bothered me
for some time.  We have an "official" formula room where the formula tech
gowns, masks, and gloves to prepare formulas.  She also measures/prepares
fortifiers to be sent to floors/ICU's.
This is not so with the breastmilk.  Our policy states that the breastmilk
must be prepared by a licensed caregiver, using aseptic technique.  We
store our breastmilk in freezers/refrigerators on the floors or ICU's -
which are located in our utility rooms.  Basically, there is a small
counter space where the preparation is done. Sometimes gloves are worn.  To
me, this is a double standard - I would like to know how other
hospitals "handle" their breastmilk.  Ideally, a breastmilk preparation
room would be great - complete with a breastmilk tech (in the perfect
world!)
Thanks for the input,
Becky Lyons, LD, IBCLC
Atlanta