From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 08:09:28 EDT
Dear Friends:
    I am working with an adorable baby girl that is determined to go to
breast and once she latches on, that is about all she can do. She is hypotonic and
has a flat tongue that bunches up in the back. She can't sustain a good suck,
and moved 0.1 oz of milk after what her mother described as a 'good' nursing.
Her mother has nursed 2 other children (for 15 and 21 months respectively),
had an unmedicated spontaneous labor with this baby and is pumping 8 times a day
with a hospital grade pump and making all the milk that this baby can use.
    The mother is grieving the loss of easy breastfeeding more than anything
else. She didn't want to give bottles; I taught them finger feeding; baby only
got 9 ounces in the past 24 hours (at her weight, she needs at least 15) and
I know these parents were dedicated. Baby tires after prolonged sucking, even
on a flowing finger. So I did suggest a bottle, because this baby needs her
calories.
    Any particular tips or suggestions?
    warmly,
Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI
Maternal-Child Adjunct Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human Lactation
Support the WHO Code and the Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative