From:
Michelle DePesa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Dec 2003 17:38:58 -0500
I received notice of this from Ilene Fabish on the MLCA mailing list:

http://www.npr.org/rundowns/segment.php?wfId=1571641

according to this report, the ad series has been canned completely to
be redone without the risk focus.

Is the research behind breastfeeding really so sketchy that it cannot
even see the light of day? it seems there is an enormous double
standard going on. evidence behind antismoking, pro seatbelt and other
PSA's have never been subject to this much scrutiny. it is just
accepted that not smoking is better than smoking, and seatbelt wearing
is better than not seatbelt wearing, who cares who feels guilty?  - but
with breastfeeding, I wonder if it is really accepted that bf is better
than not bf? notice that the "what if a mother feels guilty" line is
used explicitly. another double standard not applied to any other
public health campaign.

I am very frustrated and discouraged by this news.

Michelle DePesa