From:
Patty Spanjer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:03:52 -0500
The missing part of this is that biologically, newborns were meant to be
nursed several times an hour for very brief feedings.  By encouraging large
feeds we are causing the problem.

Note Kathy Dettwylers comments at
http://www.prairienet.org/laleche/detfreq.html

Below are just a couple of paragraphs from the article.

Frequency of Nursing in Other Species
by Katherine Dettwyler, PhD
"Continuous contact species have milk that is low in protein and fat and
high in carbohydrates. The offspring tend to nurse very often, but not take
much at any one nursing. The low protein and fat content of the milk make it
quick and easy to digest, and the baby is quickly hungry again, but mom is
right there, so it just nurses again. I have seen figures of 20 minutes as
the length of time it takes a breast milk meal to clear the stomach. Chimp
and gorilla babies nurse several times an hour during the day, and sleep
with their mothers at night, so presumably nurse at night also.

From the composition of human milk, it is clear that human babies are
designed to nurse several times an hour, around the clock. The study of the
nursing patterns among the !Kung you were referring to, where the children
nurse several times an hour for a few minutes each time, is by Melvin Konner
and Carol Worthman. The !Kung do live where it is hot and dry (Bostwana and
Namibia), however, frequent nursing increases the fat content of the milk,
rather than the water content, so it isn't at all clear that the frequent
nursing had to do with preventing dehydration. Michael Woolridge suggested
this to me once, when we were working on his chapter for the book, but there
isn't any evidence of it. There is another study of the Gainj people of
Papua New Guinea showing that the children there nurse multiple times an
hour, around the clock, also, and it is hot and humid there, though not as
hot as the desert where the !Kung live. Interesting, among the Gainj, the
children do not slow down or taper off the frequency of their nursing as
they get older. I don't have the article here in front of me, but the
figures for nursing frequency are basically unchanged up through the third
year. "

Patty Spanjer, IBCLC