From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 19:58:16 -0500
Hi All, Coach Smith here again.

When we're working with a mother-baby pair where the baby can't handle the
flow of mom's milk, it's tempting to blame the rate of flow on "oversupply"
or "overactive letdown." Before trying to reduce mom's milk supply, make
sure the baby is totally able to coordinate suck, swallow and breathe
smoothly.

If the baby was "near term," labor was induced, birth was assisted with
forceps, vacuum extractor, or Cesarean surgery was performed, the baby is
LIKELY to have a suck-swallow-breathe problem that is preventing him from
handling normal milk volume and milk flow. The early weeks of lactation set
mother's supply "thermostat" for the entire lactation cycle. Suck problems
can cause "supply" problems if no other methods are used to maintain milk
drainage from the breast. Suck problems often improve over time as the birth
trauma heals, but if mom doesn't express or pump milk in the meantime, it's
easy for the baby to "fall behind" the power curve and you're left with no
milk and a hungry baby.

In my experience, when I encounter "overactive let down" symptoms, I look at
the baby even more closely. Most of the time there's an underlying suck,
swallow, or breathing problem.

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC

Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre Ltd

6540 Cedarview Ct, Dayton OH 45459

ph 937-438-9458 www.BFLRC.com