From:
Jennifer tieman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 23:05:28 -0500
I really think about this issue of what language to use quite a bit.  Risks
vs. benefits, norm vs best.  I can't say that I've come up yet with language
that works in all situations.  Perhaps the woman that shows up to a private
practice IBCLC for breastfeeding help responds differently to certain
language than the patient who shows up to a family doctor for prenatal care.
 Also, for some women, cultural influences are so much more important than
anything a health care provider can say.
So I go back and forth talking about benefits with one mom, and risks with
another, and often benefits and risks both at different times with the same
mom.  Sometimes I feel I'm making a difference in someone's choice, often I
really don't.
Sometimes I feel that it doesn't matter what I say, even though I have that
MD/authority figure thing going for me, as certain women just seem to refuse
to believe that breastfeeding can make any difference.  I sleep better
knowing that I try to portray breastfeeding always as the biological norm,
and think that perhaps even if this particular mom in front of me isn't
hearing me, perhaps it will make a difference with her next baby, or when
her own daughter wants to breastfeed.
If you all ever come up with some language that seems to be earth shattering
and influences every one you talk to, please let me know.  I certainly think
participating in a forum like this gives me great turns of phrase to use,
and gives me more language to choose from in counseling and helping moms to
make good decisions for their babies.
Jennifer Tieman
Family Physician
Mom to 4, including nursling Caroline Rose born 5/31/03