From:
Jennifer tieman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 00:45:12 -0500
This issue of a mother's responsibility to educate herself is something I've
spent considerable time thinking about.  I struggle quite a bit over the
issue of whose responsibility many health issues are.  I find that in
general, my patients don't expect to take much responsibility for their
pregnancies, deliveries, and child's health.  I give all my pregnant
patients a list of "recommended reading" at their first prenatal visit.  It
includes many of my favorite books about pregnancy and childbirth as well as
breastfeeding.  I suggest that expectant moms ask their friends and family
members to get them a book or two for birthdays, holidays, or shower gifts.
 I encourage them to ask me questions -- I tell moms with no questions for
me at a particular visit that their homework is to come up with a question
for next time.  I try to educate about every test I order, medicine I
recommend, procedure I'm contemplating.  In general, though, I find that
most expectant moms I take care of do no reading.
I don't know if they are just thinking they get enough education from
talking with family in friends and watching TV, or if they just don't feel
they need to know anything.
It is scary what some women will let me do without even questioning me.  In
general, I try to be very evidence-based in all my decision making, but my
patients don't necessarily know that unless I tell them.  They just assume I
know what I'm talking about.
I don't like having the sole responsibility for other people's health
decisions.  I'm always trying to shift the responsibily back to the patient
in question.   Don't get me wrong, I of course expect to provide the expert
advice people are paying me for, but I feel we are all ultimately
responsible for the decisions made about our health since we have to live
with them.
I'd be very interested if anyone has thought through any good ways to get
women to take more responsiblity for their own education about all aspects
of reproductive health care, as well as their feeding choice.

Jennifer Tieman
Family Physician
Mom to 4, including nursling Caroline Rose born 5/31/03