From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 08:55:13 -0700
Does the ready to feed formula used by hospitals still come in glass
bottles, or is it all plastic now?  Whevever I have had a friend who has
donated some milk for my adopted babies, I have just gotten empty glass
bottles and lids from a hospital nursery and sterilized them, and used them
for freezing containers, and they have worked great.  They can also be used
to attach to most pump horns, and milk pumped directly into them and the
baby can be fed directly from them (assuming most babies are fed the EBM by
bottle and not Lact-Aid, as I did).  Eliminating having to pour the milk
into different containers is a definite advantage.  It limits the amount of
milk that is lost.  Also, I did not want the moms who were donating
breastmilk for me to add to my smaller, induced supply to have to spend
anymore time at it than necessary.  This way, they did not have any bottles
to wash.

Does anyone know if the plastic bottles can be adequately sterilized?  I
would think they could be, and would make very good freezing containers.
Also, the store brands of the liners for Playtex nurser and other similar
bottles are very economical and rarely leak, if they are handled carefully,
and the baby can be fed directly from them, too.  The small cost of those
actually may not be any more than the cost of hot water to wash the reusable
bottles.  Also, the disposable bags take up less space in the freezer, which
is an issue for some moms.

Aloha,
Darillyn