From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:23:51 -0800
I am wondering if this would be an option for babies
with classic galactosemia?  If the milk were made
lactose-free couldn't the baby receive the other
benefits from breastmilk, except ofcourse the skin-
to-skin contact., queried Tracy.

00000000000000000

AFAICT, it would have to be a two part process- first
the lactose would be broken down, then the resulting
sugar, galactose, would need to be broken down with
galactase.   It was suggested to me several years ago
that this was a possibility, but I have never
unearthed any further references on this.  many
prominent physicians in the Galactosemia field think
it is absolutely ridiculous as soy formula is just a
wonderful alternative.  Many parents of children with
galactosemia are horrified at the thought because they
became convinced that their milk was killing their
baby.  That makes me sad, sad, indeed.  :-(  I know
there are parents who do not breastfeed a subsequent
child following a galactosemia diagnosis for an elder
sib because of that attitude (and "my child was fine
on formula).

I would love to see more research into finding a way
to allow these children to have breastmilk instead of
soy and all it's potential problems.

both duarte' variant and classical gal have been
discussed in the past so you may wish to search the
archives.

=====
Kate, http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/advantages-of-formula.html  Mom to Ursula (8.9), Sage (6), Benno (2.8)  ..misguided propaganda on infant feeding should be punished as the most criminal form of sedition....anyone who ignorantly or lightly, causes a baby to be fed on unsuitable milk, may be guilty of that child's death." ~ Dr. Cicely Williams in 1939.
       http://www.thememoryhole.org/index.htm