From:
John/Kathi Sacks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:11:27 -0700
Hi all,
A new story in the news today in Utah about a Burger King manager having one
of his employees ask a breastfeeding mother to leave or nurse in the
bathroom.

The link is http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?sid=58026&nid=5.  The short version
copy is:
Burger King Responds Regarding Nursing Woman
Nov. 11, 2003
(Orem-AP) -- Burger King says they were responding respectfully to another
guest's complaint about a woman breast-feeding in the restaurant.
The burger chain issued a statement today apologizing for any inconvenience
that any guest might have experienced because of the incident.
Catherine Geary says she was breast-feeding her daughter in the playground
area of the restaurant when a female employee told her to nurse in the
bathroom or leave. But Burger King says the employee never asked her to
leave.
Instead, they say the general manager sent the employee over to ask that she
either cover herself or move to the ladies' room.
The restaurant doesn't have a breast-feeding policy. Utah law says the woman
is allowed to breast-feed in any place she may rightfully be.
(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

What would be the best way to respond to this?  I would like to write a
letter to Burger King asking that they request that the next customer who is
offended by a baby eating in their restaurant to go eat in the bathroom. :-)

I am a hospital IBCLC who reassured a woman just last Thursday that it is OK
to breastfeed in public in Utah.  I just didn't tell her it might land her
in the news.

Kathi Sacks, RN IBCLC