From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:21:39 -0600
I feel that the mother's feelings are very important because she is the one making or breaking the situation. I find with my WIC population that while we may see relactation as "easily attainable" the mother very often sees it as hard. I am not bashing these moms just pointing out that they might see things differently than we do. She may try it once or twice but gives up when baby balks. She may not really want to give up the "ease" of bottle feeding to struggle with her baby to nurse. She might not be willing to put forth enough effort and commitment to change the status quo. Her baby may not be cooperative and she will have to change his mind or teach him something new. This has been an issue at our WIC due to the difference in what staff hopes for and what the moms are willing to do effort-wise with their babies. (And this WIC is willing to go all out and provide the mom with all the devices and visits from an IBCLC that she needs.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC
Houston, TX