From:
Cathy Loughman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 07:08:40 -0800
Hmm that got me thinking.  I wonder if that will come up here at my unit after everyone has completed their teaching.  I have been stressing that mothers should let the infants nurse until they self detach on one side and then rouse the infant and attempt to give the other side and to not worry if the infant doesn't nurse on the other side as it will all even out by the day's end.

Again it was to help the nurses get away from the 15 minutes each side "rule" as parents were watching the clock and thinking they were done with breastfeeding after offering both sides even if the baby showed signs of still being hungry.

Thanks for the warning, I will be careful to watch out for problems like this

Cathy

<Now, of course, we have to opposite problem --nurses telling moms to ONLY breastfeed on ONE side to make sure the babygets the hind milk.>

A universal problem!! The same thing happened here in Israel.  After we
taught about foremilk/hindmilk in order to overcome the ten minutes on
each side misinformation, the nurses took it to the other extreme and now
they are all telling moms to offer only one breast each feed.  Two months
down the line, these moms are having serious supply problems.  Now in my
lectures to nurses, I have about 4 slides stressing the importance of offering
both breasts.  And I no longer dare mention fore and hindmilk ever.