Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:04:38 EST
Dear Friends:
    Dr. Peter Hartmann and his group in Western Australia have done the best
research yet looking at fat content in milk, milk synthesis, breast storage
capacity and rate of milk synthesis. Fat content seems to be related to feeding
frequency. If the interval between breastfeeds is shorter, there may be more
fat in foremilk than in hindmilk...........sometimes. Depends on mother and
baby.
    Kung mothers were counted breastfeeding 60 times in a day, for about 2.5
minutes per bout, and their babies all thrived. How did they get "hindmilk"
and enough fat??
    I wonder if our concern about fore- and hind milk is an outgrowth of the
dairy industry. Aren't cows only milked twice a day? According to Dr. Hartmann
(please correct me if I am wrong ), with such a long interval between 'feeds'
the hindmilk would be very full of fat.
    warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CIMI, CCE, craniosacral therapy
Adjunct faculty, Union Institute and University, Maternal and Child Health:
Lactation Consulting
Supporting the WHO Code and the Mother Friendly Childbirth Initiative