Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Fiona Dionne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 09:17:33 -0500
> "To say that there is a correlation between cigarette smoking and  illness is accurate.
 > To say that smokers lack the healthy lungs needed to breathe freely
and remain resistant
 > to  enphysema, asthma and lung cancer is accurate.  To say that
cigarette smoking causes
 > illness is not."

I've had a point made to me on a debate forum that I thought I'd run
by everyone here...which is that cigarettes contain a plethora of
TOXIC substances as ingredients, substances that even in minute
quantities, they are still considered toxic (unlike things like
vitamins and minerals that have toxicity at a certain level but that
we also need).  Whereas in general, most ingredients in formula are
not considered toxic in and of themself, even at minute levels, and
many are included in other food products.  Therefore, the formula
itself is not as a whole, toxic to the human body (ie to adults), but
rather the lack of the PROPER proteins, hormones, and antibodies to
the newborn baby, who is genetically programmed to expect such
substances, is the deciding factor.  I.e. given that, like Jack Newman
has said before, there are no actual studies PROVING a difference
between formula-fed and cow-milk fed infants (though there is
anecdotal evidence AND common sense tells us that formula would be
better than this...), perhaps feeding anything else, ie a home-made
formula not made in a factory, is going to give the same outcome as
the factory-made formulae, and therefore it is not really the factory
formulae that are the problem but actually the lack of the breastmilk
and its substances it contains...

Does anyone have any way to refute this?  I'd love to hear one, but
haven't been able to come up with one so far because it actually
sounds half-logical!  ;-)

Fio
ressource person with Allaitement Québec
Mama to Sandrine, 3½ yo, and Nyssa 1 yo, tandem nursing.