From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:22:31 -0700
I wonder if this mom would like to do the Breastfeeding Boot Camp routine?
This is a link to a post, detailing the short, week-end version.  If this
mom is interested, she can get in touch with the moderator for more
information.  Many moms have done this and been helped by it.
http://www.fourfriends.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=10571&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I wonder, as far as nursing with a supplementer, which one is being used?
The Lact-Aid tends to be better for getting baby to suck properly, because
it doesn't flow with gravity, like the SNS does.  A switch might help.  If
she is using the SNS with the medium tubing, I would switch to the smallest.

What is happening with the baby's sucking patterns, throughout the feeding?
Is he sucking better with or without the supplementer?  A slow flow from the
supplementer, from the beginning of the feeding, may work better than
feeding without it first and then having it added.  If the concern is that
the baby will learn to expect to get milk immediately, the flow could be
blocked for the first little bit, making him suck a little bit to get the
milk to let down.  This would mimic the pattern of a natural breast feed,
where the most milk flow was early in the feeding, and then the flow slowed
and baby could continue comfort suckling, without a fast flow.  The tube can
either be blocked or pulled straight out of his mouth without disturbing his
latch.   With the Lact-Aid, the tube from an empty unit can be left in
place, if there is no air in the bag, but I always found it easier to just
pull it straight out of the baby's mouth when we were done with it.  If
there is milk left in the bag, holding the tube up until all of the milk has
gone out of it will keep it from dripping, as long as there is no pressure
on the bag (which there shouldn't be anyway).  If mom could make herself
comfortable enough to relax, baby could just keep sucking as long as he
wanted to.

I also wonder if the pumping might be working against her, by increasing
anxiety over her milk supply.  Perhaps pumping the opposite breast while
baby nursed would be helpful.  However, I think it is also important to have
several nursings a day where the supplementer is used to assure that baby is
being adequately fed, and mom can just relax and enjoy her baby.  An
assurance of the benefits of nurturing at the breast, to both baby and mom,
is a good thing, too.

I think there are lots of things this mom can try, and she should be
encouraged to be patient until she finds what works, reminded that the baby
has alot to gain from breastfeeding for many months/years to come, and
assured that whatever effort she puts into it now will be richly rewarded.
I would encourage her to come up with a set plan and then stick with that
for a predetermined number of days before changing it (unless, of course,
there is an obvious problem with it)  This way, it can be accurately
evaluated, and she is not constantly worrying about what she might do
differently.   Maybe she would find some inspiration at the Adoptive
Breastfeeding Resource Website.  We have not only adoptive moms there, but
bio moms who are either relactating or dealing with supply problems.  There
are alot of success stories!

Aloha,
Darillyn

P.S.
I haven't read all of the posts on this thread, so I am assuming the
domperidone and herbs issue has been discussed, or tried, already.