From:
Janine Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:04:30 -0400
I have permission from my client to post to the group and would really
appreciate you advise and help.

My client is approximately 34 weeks pregnant, first baby and whilst
attending the antenatal breastfeeding class this week mentioned to me that
she is experiencing extremely painful nipples, the nipple becomes white,
blanched and tender to the touch.  This has been going on for sometime.
she is very keen to breastfeed and has done a lot of reading up, so has
empowered herself considerably.  My initial reaction was Raynauds Syndrome
of the nipple. There is a fair amount of information regarding this after
the birth of the baby with the breastfeeding situations but not too much in
the prenatal period.  Am I totally on the wrong track here and what
suggestions would you be able to help me with?
She has had a breast reduction 10 years ago.  Do you think this could be
contributing to the situation?

Waiting in anticipation for some help,

Janine Johnson
RN.RM.IBCLC