From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:46:14 +1000
And it may be that even in cases of non-puerperal lactation that the
mother's milk adjusts to the be "age specific" to the child (based perhaps
on the frequency of breastfeeding?). We don't know, it has not been
measured. There has been one case that was measured where a mother who
relactated or induced lactation with a pump had the composition of her milk
change quite dramatically apparently when she started direct breastfeeding
(this is in a paper on which Peter Hartmann is coauthor, haven't had time to
look up the cite and read it myself).

> In general, I have no qualms about the adequacy of the milk of a mom who =
> induces lactation for an adopted baby.  We don't have a lot of research =
> about it, but we do have tons of individual situations (including my =
> personal experience) which have demonstrated that babies thrive on this =
> milk.  Among the most dramatic examples of this are where babies who =
> have been several months old, with long-standing health problems, have =
> found permanent relief from those problems, with the addition of even a =
> few ounces of breast milk from the adoptive mother, per day.

Certainly many women can and do get very good milk supplies without drugs
but I agree with you that it would not be likely in this case (though you
never know, some women are much more responsive than others!)

  We still don't see that many adoptive moms with =
> large milk supplies, with no medications or artificial hormones, and the =
> chances would be even less in a case where the nursing time with one =
> baby would be shared between two women.

Karleen Gribble
Australia