From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 08:28:34 EDT
I wrote;
 >>A baby who stools once every 10days-2 weeks at 10weeks of age is NOT
unheard of my any means. Haven't we been round and round on this on Lactnet MANY
times and the general consensus is always the same. Of course the foul smell
warrants a closer look but I do hear from many of these infrequent poopers that
they are more gassy and sometimes smelly for the few days prior to the
*product*.  Could this be all in Mom's perception?<<

Jennifer responds;
>>No, this is not perception--it is reality. And while there is a general
consensus to ignore this problem, I disagree completely and think it is important
that mothers have all of the information. Assuming there is no medical
condition such as Hirschsprung's Disease present, there is every reason to explore
other possibilities for the symptoms, rather than dismissing them as normal.

As Dee Kassing noted in her post, therapies such as chiropractic,CST (and
other bodywork), homeopathy and even just allergy elimination can normalize
stooling patterns when managing breastfeeding doesn't. In my experience, this is
true in the vast majority of cases.<<

What I meant by my question   is could THIS Mom's perception of *extremely*
foul smelling be another Mom's *just a little stinky* and the obvious answer
is- of course it could.
Does this preclude further investigation? -of course not.   I certainly was
not "dismissing the symptoms as normal" (Jenifer's words), I was introducing
the possibility that they could be.
As has been mentioned many times on lactnet, there are many exclusively best
fed babies with infrequent stooling patterns-so many in fact that this is one
of the more frequent call in questions from Moms. These babies are usually
happy, fat and without allergy symptoms. How do we call this abnormal?   Aren't
we always touting that the parameters of *normal* should be determined by the
breastfeeder not the bottle feeder?   Although I am VERY willing to change my
thoughts given evidence to the contrary, it is hard to make abnormal out of
what *appears to be* a normal variant.
Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc
Franklin,Massachusetts