From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 06:09:40 +0000
Hi, I think Carol said :
<<I tell moms we'd have no foremilk/hindmilk issues if 1.)we
didn't use pumps and 2.)we truly practiced exclusive breastfeeding which
means
allowing our babes free access to the breast.  However, I do understand why
the
pump use is recommended for many women.>>

My thoughts: I see the possibility of pumping excessively (subjective) which
leads to the creation of an oversupply over the needs of the baby and hence
a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. However, I am not sure I am willing to
concede the 2nd point. If all moms practice excl. bf I think there would
still be moms with inadequate supplies so why not moms with other
variations? I agree exclusive, baby led bf is the way to go, but I'm
unwilling to stretch it to imply that mothers who practice this would have
no imbalances.
Just to show that I do agree that *in most cases* exclusive unrestricted bf
works, here is an analogy I use with moms, esp. moms who seem married to the
clock. I say "you can successfully and happily bf even if you were
shipwrecked on a remote tropical island. You would have no clock and no
calendar, no schedules, You would not have formula, or water bottles, or any
cereals etc. but you would have food for yourself to eat. Do you agree you
could bf just fine? The moms universally agree they could.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA